Rolls for soup
- 225g strong flour
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- 30g butter
- 15g fresh yeast
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 140ml tepid water
- 1 egg, beaten (optional)
- Sieve the flour and salt into a warm bowl.
- Rub in the butter.
- Cream the yeast with the sugar.
- Stir in the water and add to the flour mixture.
- Mix it all together until you have a soft dough.
- Knead well, cover with a damp cloth and leave to rice in a warm place for about an hour.
- Knead well again and divide into 12 equal sized pieces.
- Form into rolls and place on a greased and floured baking tray.
- Cover and leave to rise in a warm place for about 15 minutes.
- Brush with a little beaten egg if desired and place on a low-ish self of a cold oven.
- Turn on the heat to 230° C (450° F - gas 8), [fan oven 210° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour] and bake for about 30-35 minutes, turning the tray around for the final 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Main Cookery Book (1937)
Add more or less water as required. The harder the flour, the more water you may need.
#rollsforsoup #flour #butter #yeast #soup #egg #warmplace #knead #dough #rice #brush