Roasted red onion and white bean salad
This rich salad recipe from British Onions is a meal in itself.
- 4 Small red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 Red peppers, cored, deseeded, quartered
- 1 Orange or yellow pepper, cored, deseeded, quartered
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 x 410g/14½ oz Cans haricot beans, drained
- 75g/3oz Chilled sunblush tomatoes in oil
- 50g/2oz Marinated black olives, optional
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Teaspoon honey
- Salt and coarsely crushed black pepper
- Small bunch fresh basil or marjoram, finely chopped
- 150g/5oz Feta cheese, drained, crumbled
- 1 Cos lettuce
- Preheat the oven to to 200C/400F/gas 6
- Put the onion wedges into a roasting tin with the peppers, drizzle with half the oil and roast in the oven for 30 minutes until the onions are softened and the skins of the peppers blackened.
- Wrap the peppers in foil and set aside for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, make the dressing by mixing the remaining oil with the pan juices, lemon juice, honey and some seasoning in a small bowl then mix in the herbs.
- Add the drained beans, onions, drained sun blush tomatoes and olives if using to a salad bowl.
- Peel the skin away from the peppers, cut into strips and add to the salad.
- Sprinkle with the feta, then add the dressing and gently toss together.
- Serve, spooned over the lettuce leaves.
If you plan to take this salad on a picnic or as a work lunch, then pack the lettuce leaves separately in a plastic bag and top with the bean salad just before serving so that the dressing does not wilt the leaves.
I think my method for roasting sweet peppers is quicker, easier and nicer as you get a proper smoky taste from charring them. See here for a quick how-to
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
This recipe originated from the recipe section of British Onions
#lettuce #salad #roastedredonionandwhitebeansalad #peppers #wedges #honey #onions #tomatoes #roasting #beans #redpeppers