Raţă cu castraveţi (Duck with cucumbers)
An unusual way with duck from Romania.
I have amended the quantities for 2 people, the original recipe can be found here. Joint the duck crown to remove the breasts and trim some of the skin so it's not too fatty. I included the carcass in the procedure just to add more flavour. There is not much meat on it but it might make some picking for sandwiches later!
This recipe was delicious and the duck was superbly tender, even after cooking for 40 minutes. Not a bit greasy either.
- 1 duck crown, or 2 duck breasts
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram or oregano
- 30 ml sunflower oil
- 220 ml hot vegetable stock
- 1 cucumber, peeled and grated, and left to drain in a sieve
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- Rub the seasoning and marjoram into each duck piece.
- Heat half of the oil in a large saucepan or casserole, until slightly smoking.
- Add the duck pieces and the carcass until they are lightly browned on all sides.
- Add the water, cover and simmer for 40 minutes, turning now and then until the duck pieces are tender.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and sauté the onions until they are soft.
- Add them and the grated cucumber to the duck about 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
Serve with Bulz ciobanesc, now there's another story!
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#duck #cucumber #marjoram #vegetablestock #onions #oregano #onion #boiledorsimmered #duckcrown #sunfloweroil #bulzciobanesc