This is a variation of Walter and Jenny Fleiss' recipe taken from my first cookery book, Modern Vegetarian Cookery (ISBN 0140461043), my battered copy of which is illustrated on the right.
- 1.35 kg potatoes, peeled, boiled and thickly sliced
- 50 g Camembert, chopped
- 50 g Oxford Blue, crumbled
- 50 g St Egwin, grated
- 50 g butter
- 280 ml milk
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 teaspoon flour
- Salt and grated nutmeg, to taste
- Small vegetables of your choice, eg peas, chopped peppers, diced carrots, broad beans, cooked
- Preheat oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6)
- Grease a baking dish and put the sliced potatoes into it in layers, sprinkling the cheese over each layer.
- Heat half the milk with half the butter and pour them over the potatoes and cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, flour, salt and nutmeg with the remaining milk and pour over the potatoes, with the vegetables.
- Dot the rest of the butter over the top.
- Bake for a further 15 minutes until the top has set.
Use whatever combination of cheese you wish, but try to keep it so that you have one soft, one firm and one blue.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.