- 1 kg baby turnips, washed, topped, tailed - peeled and quartered if larger
- 1 raw beetroot, washed, peeled and sliced - this gives the lovely colour
- 400 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 litre water
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon allspice berries
- 1 bulb of garlic - broken into cloves, trimmed and peeled but left whole
- 3 to 5 tablespoons of sea salt
- Sugar to taste
- Plunge the washed and trimmed roots into boiling water for a 30 seconds just to ensure they are really clean - pat dry.
- Add the water, vinegar, peppercorns and allspice and half of the salt to a large pan, heat and dissolve the salt.
- Tinker with the mixture by adding more salt, sugar or vinegar until it is to your taste.
- Bring to the boil then remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Layer the sterilised jar with turnips, beetroot slices and garlic.
- Completely cover with vinegar and seal the lid.
- The pickled turnips should be ready in 1 week.
- Store in the refrigerator once opened - they should keep for about 1 month.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.