Perdices al vino (Partridges in wine)
- 500 ml olive oil
- 2 kg onions, peeled and sliced
- 6 whole partridges, trussed
- 4 bulbs of garlic, whole, but with outer skin removed
- 6 bay leaves
- 5 g black pepper, ground
- Pinch of salt
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 litres white wine
- Water if necessary
- Salt to taste
- Pour the oil into a large pan, with a layer of onions on the bottom.
- Add the partridges, breast down.
- Cover with the remaining onions, the heads of garlic, bay leaves, pepper and thyme.
- Add the white wine and if this does not cover the partridges, add water until it does so.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently until the partridges are cooked. This may take up to three hours.
- Add salt to taste.
- Remove the partridges first and pour the sauce over them.
Serve with bowls of freshly cooked vegetables.
Don't be alarmed by the amount of garlic and onions. The garlic can be removed afterwards if desired. Both it and the onions will have been cooking for three hours so the flavour will not be over-powering,
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.