Paprikás csirke (Paprika chicken)
You can discover more about Hungarian recipes and specialist suppliers here.
- 2 medium onions, peeled and minced
- Garlic, to taste, diced
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 1.35 kg chicken pieces on bone
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 heaped tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 115 ml hot chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- Melt the lard in a large Dutch oven over a low heat and a sweat the onions and garlic, for about 5 minutes, without allowing them to brown.
- Add the chicken pieces and tomato and cook, covered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the paprika, stir and immediately add the chicken stock and the salt.
- Cook, covered for about 30 minutes, still on a low heat.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, remove the lid and allow the liquid to evaporate for the remaining time.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Mix the sour cream, and flour with a little cold water and add to the sauce.
- Stir until it is smooth.
- Add the green pepper, the chicken pieces and replace the lid, cooking over a very low heat until the chicken is properly cooked.
- Just before serving, mix in the double cream.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.