Pan de agua (Water bread) (TM)
This is an adaptation for Thermomix from the recipe by Xavier Barriga from his book Pan (ISBN 8425343267).
- 600g mineral water
- 10g fresh yeast or 5g dried yeast
- 500g very strong bread flour, eg Waitrose Very Strong Canadian Bread Flour
- 12g salt
- Place all of the ingredients, excluding the salt into the TM and process for 10-15 seconds / Speed 6 until you have a smooth batter.
- Leave to rest in the jug for about 2 hours, by which time it should have risen substantially.
- Add the salt and mix for a few seconds / Speed 6 to ensure that the salt is evenly incorporated.
- Grease a 900g loaf tin with oil - groundnut oil is best as it has a high smokepoint.
- Pour the dough into it (it should fill about three-quarters of the tin).
- Allow to prove for 1 hour, covered.
- Meanwhile, place a tray or pan of boiling water in the bottom of the oven.
- Switch on the oven to its highest temperature.
- When the dough has finished proving, sprinkle with flour, put it in the oven and reduce the temperature to 190° C (375° F - gas 5), [fan oven 170° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour].
- Bake for 60 minutes.
- Once baked, turn out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool.
- If the bread is a little soft on the bottom, turn it over, place on a baking tray and return to the oven for 10 minutes or so until crisp.
A conventional method of making this bread can be found here.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.