Onion soup (TM)
- 130g Cheddar cheese or any cheese suitable for melting
- 1kg onions
- 50g extra virgin olive oil
- 1 litre chicken stock
- White pepper
- 500g water
- 6 slices toast
- Put the cheese, cut into 4, into a very dry TM bowl 10 seconds / Speed 4. (If using Parmesan, use a higher speed).
- Empty into a basin and reserve.
- Put the onions into the TM bowl 5 seconds / Speed 4 (you can also slice them into fine rings).
- Remove and reserve.
- Put the oil in the bowl 5 minutes / Temp. Varoma / Speed 1.
- Add the reserved onion 20 minutes / Temp. Varoma / Reverse Blade / Speed Spoon.
- Next, add the stock and the salt 20 minutes / 100° / Reverse Blade / Speed Spoon.
- Add the pepper, the 500g water and more salt if necessary 2 minutes / 100° / Reverse Blade / Speed Spoon.
- Pour into individual bowls.
- Place in each one a slice of toasted bread and sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Place in the oven until the cheese has melted and serve immediately.
- This is a translation of a recipe in Thermomix TM31 Imprescindible para tu cocina which is the book supplied with Spanish TMXs.
I made this today with the following differences. I used 2 tbsps Bron's vegetable stock instead of chicken stock (no need to add salt). I didnt bother gratinating it in the oven as I was only making it for myself, with the remainder going in the freezer. What I did was to make some cheese on toast under the grill, trimmed it and just plonked it in the soup.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.