Nacatamal (Nicaraguan tamales)
This is the national tamale of Nicaragua.
For the filling:
- 450 g boneless pork, chicken pieces or turkey breast, cut into 8 pieces
- 70 ml Seville orange juice or 35 ml each of orange and lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons achiote
- Garlic, to taste, crushed
For the masa:
- 450 g tamale flour or masa harina
- 280 ml milk
- 2 tablespoons lard or Trex
- 15 ml Seville orange juice or a mixture of orange and lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 115 g mashed potato
- 1 Potato, raw, sliced thinly into 5 cm squares
- 2 Tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 Onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Sweet peppers, thinly sliced
- Mint leaves
- 8 teaspoons of raw rice
- Chillies, thinly sliced
- 8 sheets of tin-foil, cut into 38-40 cm squares
- Mix the filling ingredients and leave to marinate overnight.
- Mix the masa ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until the mixture is firm, but remains moist - about 30 minutes.
- Take one-eighth of the masa and place in the centre of one piece foil or a husk.
- Push 2 slices of potato into the masa near the bottom, then one piece of meat in the centre.
- Cover the masa with 2 slices each of the tomatoes, onions and peppers.
- Place 3 mint leaves and a teaspoon of rice on the top.
- Push chilli slices into the edges of the masa and pour a teaspoon of the marinade over the top.
- To wrap, fold both ends of the foil or husks to the centre, allowing an overlap of 1 cm.
- Fold one end tightly, stand the parcel on its end and shake down.
- Tighten the wrapping and fold over the sides and seal.
- The tamale should be about 13 cm by 9.5 cm.
- Repeat the process to make the remaining 7 tamales.
- Place the tamales in a large pan so that they are all in one layer.
- Add cold water to cover.
- Cover the pan and on a high heat, bring to the boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 4 hours.
Serve as a snack, light lunch or even for breakfast.
Tamale flour, which is slightly more granular than masa harina can be obtained from Cool Chile Co. They also sell corn husks.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.