Mushroom stroganoff with green beans and wild rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 250 g closed cup mushrooms, brushed clean and sliced
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon made-up English mustard
- 150 ml vegetable stock, a stock cube is fine for this
- 100g wild rice, rinsed under running water and drained
- 150 ml creme fraiche
- 1 teaspoon of dry sherry
- Half a lemon cut into wedges
- A handful of green beans, trimmed and halved
- Cook the wild rice as instructed on the packet. Note that wild rice can take as long as 50 minutes to cook properly so you may need to adjust the stroganoff cooking time appropriately
- Heat the oil in a wok or saucepan and give a good grind of black pepper, add the onions and gently fry for about 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the crushed garlic and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and saute for 6 minutes, turning now and then.
- Add the mustard and paprika powder and mix well, then pour over the stock. Ensure the stock is well mixed and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the beans for about 6 minutes in boiling water.
- Add the creme fraiche together with the juice from ¼ of the lemon and stir well.
- Based on a recipe seen on bbc.co.uk/food
Don't add any extra salt without tasting first as vegetable stock from a cube tends to be rather salty.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.