Mushroom ketchup - homemade (TM)
- 1 kg mushrooms, quartered if large portobello type (any type will do but open-cap makes a darker sauce)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 5 cm piece ginger root, sliced across into discs
- 4 bay leaves, crumbled
- ½ nutmeg, grated
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 250 gm cider vinegar (I used 200g cider vinegar and 50g balsamic vinegar)
- 50 gm soft dark muscovado sugar
- Chop mushrooms in two or three batches Speed 4 / 5 seconds
- Transfer to a bowl and mix with the salt then cover and leave for about 24 hours at room temperature, mixing occasionally.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger and spices to the bowl and chop Speed 5 / 5 seconds then scrape down.
- Add all of the salty mushroom mixture (do not rinse)
- Add the vinegar and sugar and cook Speed 2 / 100°C / 60 minutes / MC off and basket inverted on the lid to allow the mix to reduce.
- Process Speed 10 / 2 minutes until very smooth - it should be gloopy, like tomato ketchup.
- Transfer to warmed sterilised jars/bottles and seal (you could also use ziploc bags and freeze once cooled).
- Recipe by Rogizoja from Forum Thermomix
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.