Modernist Mac and cheese recipe
(Redirected from Modernist Mac & cheese recipe)
5/5 I'm such a sucker for these kind of recipes - Heston anything and ,y eyes are wide open! The Judge
This is a variation of the famous Mac & cheese recipe from Modernist Cuisine ISBN 978-0982761007. If you've read this Molecular gastronomy cookery book or its Home version you will understand why the measurement quantities are so exacting.
- 160 ml Semi-skimmed milk
- 6.5g Sodium citrate
- 170g Black bomber cheese, grated
- 120g Dried macaroni pasta
- 150g Cauliflower florets
- 150g Broccoli florets
- A few tomatoes
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Freshly chopped chives
- Combine the milk and sodium citrate in a saucepan, mix well with a hand whisk and bring to a simmer
- Add the grated cheese to the simmering milk a handful at a time blending with an immersion blender every time until you have a silky smooth sauce
- Simmer for a few minutes, stirring all the while, until the sauce thickens a little.
- Cook the pasta in lightly salted boiling water for about 6 minutes, or as directed on the packet
- Cook the cauliflower and broccoli pieces in boiling water for 6 to 7 minutes or to taste
- Drain the vegetables and pasta. Don't not rinse the pasta
- Mix pasta and vegetables together and serve, topped with the cheese sauce and a garnished with sliced tomatoes and a sprinkling of chopped chives and parsley
- Based on Mac and cheese: Modernist Cuisine ISBN 978-0982761007
Use any hard cheese of your choice
For the quantities I used recipe scaling to calculate the portion sizes for 2 people from a 5 portion original. (scaling factor 0.4 [2/5]), however I think we could have done with a little more so have adjusted the ingredients on this recipe to a scaling factor of 0.6 [3/5].
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#pasta #cheese #vegetables #cauliflower #grated #broccoli #blackbombercheese #sodiumcitrate #parsley #chives #modernistmacandcheeserecipe