Merluza a la gallega (Galician style hake)
This is a very quick and easy recipe from Galicia which is known as Merluza á Galega in Galician.
- 800g Hake fillets or 4 hake steaks weighing about 200-225g each
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 120ml olive oil
- 8 or more Cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- Season the hake with the salt .
- Place the potatoes, onion, bay leaves and parsley with some salt in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Boil for about 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat, add the hake and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- If using fillets add them a few minutes later as they do not hold together as well as steaks.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, heat the oil and fry the garlic until golden.
- Drain the potatoes, onion and the hake, discarding the bay leaves and parsley and plate up.
- Remove the garlic from the heat immediately and quickly stir in the paprika.
- Pour the garlic sauce over the hake, potatoes and onions.
As mentioned above, be very careful with fillets or they will distintergrate as they are boneless. Steaks have bones which keep the flesh together better.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.