(Redirected from Marinated olives recipe)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
Having realised that I was bored with pre-prepared stuffed olives, I decided to buy plain olives, complete with stones and marinate them. I happened to have a lot of olives when I made this, but you easily reduce the quantity.
- 500 g green olives, stones intact
- 1 kg black olives, stones intact
- Olive oil, to cover
- 1 bulb or more of Garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1-2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme or oregano
- 90 ml sherry vinegar
- Place the olives in an airtight container, such as a Lock&Lock box and add enough olive oil to cover.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and shake vigorously.
- Leave to marinate for at least a week before consumption.
Use with any recipe that calls for olives, removing the stones if necessary. Personally, I just enjoy pigging out on them on their own.
Try experimenting with your own choice of herbs and spices. My green hojiblanca olives originated in the area around Fuente de Piedra in Andalucía and the black ones were from Syria. Use any combination of olive type, colour and origin. Make your blend unique!
It is a good idea to shake the container several times daily as the sherry vinegar sinks to the bottom.
Remove the stones if you wish, but I find that olives taste better stoned at the last minute.
Do not throw away the marinade as it can be used as a dressing.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#olives #marinatedolives #sherryvinegar #marinate #greenolives #spices #chillipowder #blackolives #cuminseeds #garlic #olive