Majorcan vegetable bake
Works well with any veg.
4.8/5 Nice and easy, healthy simplicty! The Judge
Another Gent night contender that would make a nice vegetarian main course or an accompaniment. I've increased the garlic from a measly 2 cloves in the original recipe to about 6 as I can't imagine any self-respecting Spaniard ever putting just 2 Cloves of garlic in a dish to serve 6 people!
Be bold, vary the vegetables to match what you have lying around at the time.
This was a very nice, and very easy vegetable dish, it will be made again.
- 400g can peeled plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano or marjoram, chopped
- 3 tablespoon olive oil plus a little more to dress the dish with
- 6 fat Cloves of garlic (or to taste), half peeled and crushed, the remaining half peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 aubergine, sliced
- 1 sweet bell pepper of any colour
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 650g potatoes, peeled and sliced: Desiree, King Edward, Lady Balfour, Maris Piper, Melody etc.
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Add 1.5 tablespoons of the oil to a pan and sizzle the garlic for a minute and then add the tomatoes, oregano, season and simmer for 10 minutes to reduce a little.
- Toss the aubergine, pepper and onion in the remaining oil, season and arrange in a baking tray and oven roast for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and arrange the potatoes and vegetables in layers.
- Pour over the tomato sauce, add a grind of black pepper and a glug of olive oil.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 1 hour, removing the tin-foil half way through.
Serve with crusty bread.
I think that in future I would finish under a grill to really crisp up the potatoes.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#garlic #majorcanvegetablebake #oregano #potatoes #oliveoil #onion #aubergine #tomatosauce #vegetarian #bread #sidedish