Lepure cu masline (Rabbit with olives)
This recipe is from Romania and I would suggest that you ask your butcher to joint the rabbit for you if necessary.
- 1.4 kg rabbit, jointed
- 120 ml oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 40 ml water or stock
- 240 ml dry white wine
- Salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 6 juniper berries
- 1 bay leaf
- 200 g black olives, pitted
- 500 g courgettes, sliced
- Fry the rabbit pieces in a pan with hot oil, until lightly browned.
- Add the onion and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Then add the tomato puréé, the wine, water or stock, tomato sauce, salt, sugar, juniper berries, bay leaf and the olives.
- Mix everything carefully, cover and simmer until the rabbit is tender and the liquid well reduced.
- Add the courgettes 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Stir occasionally during the cooking time and if necessary, add more stock or water.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#rabbit #stock #courgettes #bayleaf #juniperberries #tomato #drywhitewine #simmer #fry #onion #stewedbraisedorpotroasted