Lebanese tomato soup
The idea for this soup came from a (translated) Lebanese cookbook I found in a second-hand bookshop. It is fairly basic but would make a good start for something more elaborate.
- 7 oz long grain rice, washed
- 2 oz chopped onions
- 3 oz butter
- 9 oz ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 ½ pints cold water
- 1 oz tomato puree
- Cinnamon powder for garnish
- Melt the butter and fry the onions until just browned, about 5 minutes
- In a large pot, add the tomatoes, rice, salt and water and bring to the boil over a fast heat
- Add the tomato paste, browned onions and and remaining butter
- Cover and simmer for about 1 hour and 15 minutes
Serve garnished with a little cinnamon powder
Nowadays, 2 tablespoons of salt seems to be a little excessive. I would suggest adding just a little and adjusting any seasoning at the end. You can add more but you can't take it away.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.