Katzeng'schroa (Veal stew)
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 30 g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500 g veal, finely sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 150 ml Hot stock
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 125 ml sour cream
- 35 ml White wine or sherry
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and sauté the onion until it is golden.
- Add the veal and fry, stirring constantly for about 6 minutes.
- Add sufficient stock to cover, season and add the herbs.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the veal is tender.
- Sprinkle in the flour, add more stock and bring to the boil.
- Mix in the sour cream and add wine to taste.
- Bring to the boil once more and serve.
For the benefit of those who follow, I have made notes of the quantities that I used whilst testing this recipe. I also varied some of the ingredients to suit my larder:
- Thyme - 2 x 3" sprigs, added complete with stems, stems removed when the cooking had been completed.
- Marjoram, mine has gone to seed so I used 1/3 of a teaspoon of dried oregano.
- I have no savory, neither do I have a substitute, so it has been omitted completely. Reminder to self: add savory to my 'grow this next year' list.
- I could not obtain veal on the day so I used rump steak, finely sliced on the diagonal.
- White wine or sherry, 50 ml
- Stock, 100 ml
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.