Jani me fasule (Bean soup)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
- 400 g dry white beans such as haricot beans, soaked overnight
- 1 litre stock or water
- 150 g onions, chopped
- 100 ml olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- Chilli powder, to taste
- 1 tablespoon mint, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Boil beans in hot water in an uncovered pan for 5 minutes.
- Rinse and boil for another 15 minutes, covered, in the hot stock or water.
- Sauté the onion in the olive oil until it turns golden.
- Add 2 tablespoons bean stock from the pot along with the tomato purée, and chilli powder for taste.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until a thick sauce is formed, then pour everything into the pan containing the beans.
- Cover, and simmer for 2 hours over low heat, stirring in the salt, mint and parsley just before the end of the cooking time.
- Serve hot.
Serve with some country bread.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#mint #stock #bean #beans #boil #parsley #chillipowder #onions #oliveoil #sauce #panfried