Hues encivi (Hare in cream sauce)
- 600g saddle of hare, trimmed
- 80g Streaky bacon
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Good pinch of nutmeg, grated
- 280 ml chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Further 560 ml chicken stock or water, cold
- 280 ml double cream
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Lemon slices
- Lard the hare with bacon rashers and season.
- Remove the rind from a 4 further bacon rashers and add to a pan with the carrot, onion, bay leaf and nutmeg.
- Add about 170 ml chicken stock and the hare, spine upwards.
- Cover the pan, bring to the boil, then allow to simmer over a reduced heat until the hare is tender.
- Add more stock as and when necessary.
- Remove the hare and keep warm.
- Mix the flour with a little of the cold stock or water and mix it with the hot stock in the pan.
- Simmer until the flour is blended in.
- Add the remaining cold stock or water, and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
- When it is boiling, remove from heat, strain into a second pan and slowly add the cream.
- Reheat the sauce until it is just below boiling point.
- Add capers to taste and stir in the mustard and vinegar.
- Put the hare back into the sauce, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Serve the hare on plates or a serving platter and cover with the sauce.
- Garnish with more capers and lemon slices.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#hare #sauce #bacon #flour #capers #chickenstock #stock #simmer #carrot #bayleaf #boiling