Hot and sour soup
Hot and Sour Soup recipe - the classic Szechuan recipe for hot and sour soup.
- 2 pints (1.5 litres) good chicken stock
- 4 dried Chinese mushrooms
- 80g strips of cooked meat ( chicken, pork or ham, etc. )
- 2 oz bamboo shoots
- 1 oz defrosted frozen peas
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 free-range eggs
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornflour blended to a paste with 3 tablespoons of water
- Soak the mushrooms in boiled water for 20 minutes, squeeze excess water, remove stalks and slice thinly
- Shred the cooked meat and bamboo shoots
- Beat the eggs
- Mix together the thickening ingredients
- Heat the stock in a large pan
- Add everything but the eggs and thickening, bring to the boil, cover simmer for 5 minutes
- Pour in the thickening and stir until the consistency changes
- Stir the soup so it rotates and gradually pour the eggs into the soup in a thin stream
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.