Home-made butter and buttermilk recipe
Most people want buttermilk for a bread recipe. This neat idea gets you not only the buttermilk, but alos the butter to spread on the bread once it's made. All you need is 700 ml of double cream (heavy cream) and a hand whisk.
This can be done by hand if you have the time and the energy. tip; Have an electric whisk to hand for when you give up !
- Pour the double cream into a large bowl
- Start by using the beating attachment and whisk until the cream starts to solidify - this took about 3 minutes of continual whisking.
- Once the butter starts to appear, I found it easier to continue with the dough-hook attachment as butter starts to clog the whisk.
- To prevent covering the kitchen in buttermilk it's probably a good idea to decant the buttermilk you have at this stage to another container.
- Another few minutes with the dough hook and the separation should be complete.
- Strain off the remaining buttermilk, whisk in a ¼ to ½ a teaspoon of fine salt if you want salted butter.
- On a cool day you can pat the butter into shape. If it's very warm you can do this by hand in a bowl aof very cold water.
- Use your buttermilk to make the bread and the butter to spread on it
This is probably a long-winded method of making butter, but it's very nice butter and quite fun, if not a little messy. Let me know if you manage to beat it all by hand!
- Our bread and baking category
- Soda bread recipe
- Thermomix butter
- Thermomix butter - Spanish recipe (TM)
- The fabulous Baker brothers butter recipe
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.