Home-made beef burgers
From Cookipedia(Redirected from Hamburger)
Use this simple recipe as a guide and play around with the ingredients a little so you make burgers that are exactly to your taste. This is a great recipe to get the kids involved in - nice and messy!
- 400g (1lb) lean minced beef
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 4 burger buns
- 100g halloumi cheese, Cheddar cheese, or a cheese of your choice
- Salad leaves and sliced tomatoes to garnish the buns
- Fry the onions and garlic in a little olive oil until softened a little, just to take the edge off them
- Allow the onions to cool a little before handling
- In a bowl, add the onions and the rest of the ingredients apart from the buns and the cheese and squidge the mixture through your fingers so it's really well mixed
- Cut the cheese into four pieces, divide the meat into four and mould the meat around the cheese so that it's completely covered.
- Fry in olive oil for about 4 to 5 minutes per side
- Serve in the buns with the salad leaves and sliced tomatoes
You can make these stretch further by adding a cup or so of breadcrumbs. Mix well and rest for an hour if you have time, as this will allow the breadcrumbs to absorb any moisture.
Experiment with some of the ideas below, though not all in one burger!
- Use grilled halloumi cheese instead of cheddar
- Use a 50/50 mix or minced pork and minced beef
- Add some chopped gherkins
- A pinch of thyme and some basil leaves
- A finely chopped chili
- A squirt of tomato sauce
- A teaspoon of mustard
- A tablespoon of double cream
- Try a few drops of Louisiana Hot Pepper Sauce
- Zested rind and the juice of a lime
- Cook them on a barbecue
For a really authentic look, get a 1980's Wimpy Bar style squeezy tomato sauce dispenser!
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.