Goat's cheese and asparagus calzone pizza
The inspiration for this recipe came from Sophie Grigson and William Black's Organic cookbook ISBN0 747272204
I wanted something to use this year's meagre crop of giant asparagus, so this recipe seemed an ideal candidate.
The giant asparagus is a little on the woody side so it needs much more cooking than normal.
Eveything else was from either a fridge or a garden raid. We have our own hens so that's a help!
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- 1 portion of pizza dough - Makes 2 pizzas
- 5 or 6 spears of giant asparagus
- 1 green bell pepper, roasted de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 220 g of goat's cheese
- 4 tablespoons of tomato sauce - see Chef's notes below
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled but left whole
- A handful of fresh herbs, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chop the asparagus diagonally in 2cm slices, discarding the woodier parts from lower down.
- Boil the asparagus for 10 to 12 minutes
- Roast the pepper - see here
- Make the pizza dough
- Preheat the oven to 220° C (425° F - gas 7), [fan oven 200° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Make 1 pizza per person
- Roll the dough out into two circles
- Divide the fillings into two portions, one for each pizza
- Spread the tomato sauce on to one half of the circle, leaving the edge free from sauce
- Crumble the cheese over the sauce
- Sprinkle the chopped herbs, asparagus and green peppers over the sauce
- Pop the egg in the middle, season with salt and pepper and give a final drizzle of olive oil
- Brush the clean edge with water or milk so it helps to make a good seal
- Fold the pizza Calzone folding
- Bake for about 20 minutes
- These pizzas are so versatile that you can put almost anything in them. They will get hot enough to melt the cheese but anything that might need pre-cooking needs to be done outside of the pizza. They get just hot enough to cook a raw egg if that's any help.
As we make pizzas so often, I divide up homemade tomato sauce into single-pizza-portions and freeze them in small bags. If I've no homemade sauce, I cheat and use a few tablespoons from a bottle of ready made pasta sauce and freeze the remainder as above.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.