Gedünstetes Schöps (Stewed mutton)
- 35g Lard
- 120g carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 120g parsnips, peeled and finely diced
- 60g celery, finely diced
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 kg shoulder of mutton, cubed
- 180 ml Hot meat stock
- 45 ml sour cream
- 30 ml red wine
- 2 level tablespoons flour
- Warm a serving dish.
- Melt some fat in a large pan and sauté the vegetables until the onion is soft, but not browned.
- Add th sugar and stir until it begins to change colour.
- Add the bay leaf, spices and the mutton, with enough stock to cover.
- Simmer until the meat is cooked.
- Remove the mutton from the pan and keep warm in a serving dish.
- Mix the cream, red wine and flour and stir onto the sauce. Bring to the boil, remove from heat and blend using a stick blender, liquidiser or food processor. Alternatively it can be passed through a sieve.
- Pour over the meat.
You could try this with other types of red meat.
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#mutton #diced #bayleaf #vegetables #flour #onion #redwine #blender #lard #fat #stock