Gåsesteg med aebler og svesker (Roast goose with apples and prunes)
- 1 x 3.5kg whole goose
- ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 450g crisp apples eg Jazz, Braeburn, cored and chopped
- 225g prunes soaked, stoned and chopped
- 30g butter
- 30g plain flour
- 110g redcurrant jelly
- Pre-heat the oven to 190° C (375° F - gas 5), [fan oven 170° C]
- Wipe and dry the goose.
- Rub with lemon and sprinkle with salt and pepper inside and out.
- Mix the apple with the prunes.
- Stuff the goose and secure the opening with a skewer, or sew it.
- Prick goose all over lightly with a fork and put on the rack in the roasting tin.
- Put the goose in the oven and reduced the heat to 180° C (350° F - gas 4), [fan oven 160° C].
- Roast for 3 hours 20 minutes, pouring off fat as it accumulates in the pan, and basting occasionally.
- Put the goose on a hot serving dish.
- Drain the fat from the pan, leaving only meat juices.
- Add enough water to make up to 570ml and heat gently.
- Cream the butter and flour together, and stir into the liquid.
- Stir in the redcurrant jelly and heat through.
- Serve the sauce separately.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.