Fårikål (Lamb or mutton stew with cabbage)
Home-made pasta is so easy to make!
- 1.8 kg breast of lamb or mutton, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 5cm pieces
- 40g plain flour
- 900g firm white cabbage (Dutch or Sweetheart), chopped in 2.5cm wedges
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 570ml lamb stock
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns, lightly bruised with a rolling pin and tied in muslin
- Pre-heat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4), [fan oven 160° C] if using
- Heat some oil in a flameproof casserole and cook the meat in stages until evenly browned
- Toss the meat in the flour
- Arrange a layer of meat in the bottom of the casserole
- Top with a layer of cabbage and then with chopped celery.
- Season with the salt
- Continue in layers twice more, finishing with a layer of cabbage
- Pour in the stock
- Add the peppercorns to the casserole and cover tightly
- Either cook on a gentle heat for 1½ hours, or bake in the oven for the same length of time
Serve with boiled potatoes
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.