Ensalada de coditos
Home-made pasta is so easy to make!
- 300 g coditos (pasta) - see Variations below
- 130g tin of tuna in oil, mashed
- Mayonnaise, using 500 ml olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of single cream
- 500g firm tomatoes, thinly sliced
- A handful of black olives, pitted
- 1 egg, hard boiled, finely chopped or put through a sieve
- Parsley, finely chopped
- Boil the coditos for about 15 minutes or per packet instructions.
- Rinse under cold water and drain thoroughly.
- When the pasta is cold, mix with the tuna, Cream and mayonnaise and place in the middle of a serving dish.
- Arrange the tomato slices around the pasta and place the olives on top of it.
- Sprinkle with the hard boiled egg. and the parsley.
Coditos are not available in the UK, as far I can ascertain, although it may be found as elbow macaroni. They are similar in shape to the Italian pipe pasta and this type can be used instead. Elicoidali is another fairly close equivalent that can be purchased directly from Waitrose.
I already had some homemade garlic mayonnaise, but had no idea how much would be made from 500 ml of olive oil, however, 3 good tablespoons of mayonnaise seemed just fine. I also garnished the salad with a little smoked paprika to add a bit of extra interest. Many people like to use Cream in this salad because it reduces acidity in the dish due to the mayonnaise.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.