El ham lahou (Ramadan lamb)
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- 50 g butter
- 900 g lamb, cut into 6cm (2½”) pieces
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 750 ml water or stock
- 50 g sugar
- 12 dried prunes, soaked in water for one hour
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons whole almonds, blanched
- 1 firm pear, peeled and cut into wedges
- 30 ml orange flower water
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the lamb and saute over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, water or stock and sugar and mix well.
- Increase the heat to moderate and cook (covered) for about 40 minutes, or until the meat is tender.
- Drain the prunes and add them to the lamb with the raisins, almonds and pear.
- Simmer for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the orange flower water.
- Allow to cool a little.
As usual, I didn't read the recipe properly when shopping and bought a small leg of lamb. I removed the meat from the bone, but have included the bone in the cooking process just for the flavour.
I used a few substitutions when I made this:
- Ghee instead of butter
- jaggery instead of sugar
- The chopped flesh of half an orange with the grated zest of a third of an orange instead of the orange flower water.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.