These are also known as griddle or girdle scones or Scotch pancakes.
- 450 g self-raising flour
- 85 g sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup, warmed
- 290 ml milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Mix all of the dry ingredients with the golden syrup in a bowl.
- Beat the milk with the eggs and add to the bowl.
- Whisk until it has the consistency of thick cream.
- Heat a lightly greased frying pan or griddle and drop tablespoons of the mixture into it. Make sure that there is plenty of space between each one. Depending on the size of your pan, you should be able to do at least 3 at a time.
- Flip them over when they start to bubble and the underneath is golden brown.
- When the other side is cooked, place them in a clean tea towel whilst you do the rest.
Serve hot with butter or clotted cream and jam or honey. Alternatively, if you are feeling cheffy, you could turn these into a pudding by making a stack of three or four scones with various fillings such as fruit, chopped nuts and thick cream.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.