Dragon Welsh cheddar cheese and butternut squash soup
- 1kg butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 450ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 200ml single cream or milk
- 100g grated Dragon mature cheddar cheese
- 50g butter
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- In a large saucepan, fry the onion in butter for 1-2 minutes, add squash and stir for 1 minute
- Add stock and sugar then bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer until squash is soft and cooked through (approx. 15 mins)
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Using a blender, purée until smooth
- Return the soup to the saucepan and place over medium low heat. Stir in the cream, cheddar and seasoning
- Stir the soup until heated through but do not boil. Sprinkle with chopped chives and serve hot
For a lower fat alternative, use Dragon reduced fat mature Welsh cheddar cheese
Dragon cheese products can be purchased from Sainsbury's, Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, Lidl, local independent stores and cheese shops.
For trade, catering and export enquiries see their where to buy page.
Many thanks to South Caernarfon Creameries for kindly giving Cookipedia permission to use their recipes.
- South Caernarfon Creameries
- Dragon mature Welsh cheddar cheese
- Dragon reduced fat mature Welsh cheddar cheese
- A selection of butternut squash soup recipes on Cookipedia
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.