Deconstructed tortilla salad
This recipe comes courtesy of Nik and Edwina's Cookbook.
Hearty and satisfying, this is a summer take on one of our favourite winter dishes New York truck tortillas. It works well as a packed lunch, so we usually make double the amount.
- 2 wholemeal tortillas
- 4 spring onions, whites parts only, finely chopped
- 2 avocados, peeled and cut into chunks
- ½ cucumber, peeled, de-seeded and cut into thick slices
- 400g can black (turtle) beans, drained and rinsed
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- 8 mint leaves, torn
- 4 tablespoon olive oil (or avocado oil)
- Juice of 1 lime
- A pinch of sugar or a 8g of agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped coriander stalks
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chipotle sauce (or smoked paprika)
- salt and pepper
- First of all, blitz together the dressing ingredients together, and adjust the chipotle and sweet/sour balance to taste
- Mix the spring onions, avocado, black beans and cucumber with the dressing in a large bowl.
- Cut the tortillas into 1cm strips. Dry fry in a pan until browned on all sides.
- Divide the salad mixture between 4 plates, and top with the feta and tortillas
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.