- 375g strong white flour
- 125g wholemeal flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 375ml milk, plus extra for glazing
- 30g unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 220° C (425° F - gas 7), [fan oven 200° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour].
- Mix the flours, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture.
- Mix the milk and the melted butter in a jug.
- Pour this into the well and mix rapidly until you have a soft and sticky dough.
- Put the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead for about 1 minute until the dough is slightly homogenous.
- Shape into a ball and place on a greased baking tray.
- Glaze with milk and sprinkle with wholemeal flour.
- Slash with a cross, 2cm deep.
- Bake the bread for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 180° C (350° F - gas 4), [fan oven 160° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour] and bake for a further 25 minutes until it acquires a golden colour and sounds hollow when you tap it on the bottom.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- El Libro del Pan by Eric Treuillé and Ursula Ferrigno
Hmmm. As you can see from the photo, the top flew off from the base on one side of the loaf. I think that to rectify this I should either flatten the dough once I have shaped it into a ball and reduce the amount of baking powder. It also tasted too salty.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.