Crayfish and cream cheese puffs
I made these for 2 people, but they would easily serve 4, you could serve half per person or make 4 individual puffs. Smaller puffs would cook much quicker as the volume of the filling in these large puffs slows the cooking time.
- 500 g (1 lb) packet of Jus Rol pre-rolled puff pastry
- 240g of prepared crayfish
- 2 tablespoons nam pla - optional, but it makes the crawdaddies even fishier!
- 200 g full fat cream cheese
- 4 finely chopped spring onions
- 2.5 cm (1") ginger, skinned and very finely julienned, then chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- If you have the time and the nam pla marinade the crayfish in 2 tablespoons of nam pla for an hour or so.
- After they have finished marinating, drain the crayfish and discard the nam pla.
- Remove the puff pastry from the fridge 15 minutes before using.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6)
I made up little tin foil trays in case the filling leaked out. Not needed in the end.
- Roll out the pastry into two pieces, about 24 cm x 15 cm.
- Finely chop the spring onions, julienne the ginger and mix into into the cream cheese.
- Season the cream cheese mixture with black pepper.
- Stir the crayfish into the cream cheese mixture.
- Spoon half the cream cheese mixture onto one half of each sheet of pastry, leaving 2 cm [3/4 inch] clear to ensure a good seal.
- Brush the edges with milk or water to make a good join.
- Press the edges together with your fingers, then use the tines of a fork to crimp the edges.
- Brush the top surface with a little milk or a beaten egg to help them brown.
- Make a slashes in the top of the pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the pastry has risen and is golden brown. Check them after 20 minutes as you are only waiting for the pastry to cook. The filling only needs to heat up.
- Allow the puffs to cool on a tray for 5 minutes before serving as the filling can get dangerously hot and will burn your mouth!
- Serve with a Tomato salsa
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#crayfishandcreamcheesepuffs #crayfish #nampla #creamcheese #springonions #ginger #blackpepper #puffpastry #miseenplace #crawdaddies #favouriterecipes