Colourful couscous recipe
From Cookipedia(Redirected from Cous cous recipe)
Couscous is a traditional North African dish, served with mixed vegetables or meat such as mutton or lamb.
Couscous can be eaten hot or cold and is usually served with harissa paste.
It's a great recipe for using up odd fridge scraps!
- 225g/8oz couscous
- 1 Knorr chicken stock cube
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 6 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 3 " cucumber peeled, quartered lengthwise, seeds removed and chopped into cubes
- 1 red onion, very finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lime or lemon
- 2 tablespoons roasted flaked almonds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 6 dried apricots, chopped well
- 2 tablespoons sultanas or raisins
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Boil 400 ml (14 fl oz) of water.
- Add the boiling water and the stock cube to a large bowl and mix well
- Add the couscous and let it stand for 10 minutes
- Add the remaining ingredients apart from the almonds and sesame seeds and fork over well
- Just before serving, mix in the almonds and sesame seeds
Serve hot or cold.
Switch the lemon for an orange.
As with most rice or grains, couscous does not have a great deal of flavour so the punch comes from the ingredients it's cooked with.
Use double the volume of water to volume of couscous
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.