Chorizo and mozzarella stuffed peppers
We had lots of peppers left over from a large bag of 'wonky peppers' and as we always have frozen diced chorizo and frozen mozzarella; I thought I would make stuffed peppers. I used Panko breadcrumbs and fresh herbs, but a few tablespoons of stuffing would work just as well.
Be careful how much you make up as there's not much room in small peppers, large ones would be better on reflection.
- 4 sweet peppers sliced in half, lengthways
- Try to retain some of the pepper around the stalk area or you stuffing will leak out
- 400g pack of Morrison's diced chorizo
- 1 mozzarella ball, torn into shreds
- 50g grated or sliced gruyere, or cheese of your choosing
- A huge good handful of freshly chopped herbs; parsley, thyme, sage, chives, chive flowers
- A tablespoon of cornmeal to absorb some of the fat
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 220° C (425° F - gas 7)
- Squeezed and drain the mozzarella in a sieve for an hour or two. If you don't do this, the mixture will be too wet.
- Mix all of the stuffing ingredients together in a large bowl, mixing really well
- Spray the base of your baking tray with olive oil
- Stuff the halved peppers with the mixture
- Place the peppers on the greased tray
- Cover with tin-foil and bake for 1 hour
- Remove the tin-foil and bake for a further 20 minutes
- I initially cooked these at a lower temperature and they were a little undercooked so I added some Marmite stock for the last hour and increased the heat to 220 for the final hour
Morrisons's Diced Chorizo buy here
Just one half per person would make a nice accompaniment to any meal.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#peppers #stuffing #chorizoandmozzarellastuffedpeppers #mozzarella #chorizo #bake #diced #chives #chive #cheese #chips