I made this last night and it was fantastic. With butter rather than sunflower oil it would be even better, though no longer suitable as a vegan recipe.
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- 75 g popping corn
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons of muscovado sugar. Brown sugar or even granulated sugar would do at a push.
- Good pinch of salt
- Ideally with a coffee grinder or a small food processor, turn the sugar, cocoa powder and salt to a fine powder.
- On a high heat, heat the oil in a large pan
- When the oil is hot (but not smoking) add just a few kernels of popping corn and close the lid
- When they pop, your oil is ready, tip the rest of the popping corn into the oil and quickly close the lid
- Holding the lid with oven gloves, shimmy the pan so the corn will be covered with the oil
- When all of the activity has ceased, remove the lid and pour into a large bowl or lidded container.
- Sprinkle in the chocolate powder and sugar, cover and and shake well to mix.
Go to our popcorn recipes page
Not all supermarkets seem to sell popping corn. If you are having a job locating it, most health food shops sell it. Our local Waitrose also stocks popping corn in various sized packets.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.