The beauty is that you can tailor the flavours to suit your tastes. It also freezes well in 'meal-sized' portions.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or the less healthy lard option!)
- 2 big garlic cloves, peeled and crushed.
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced.
- 2 tablespoons lardons (or home smoked bacon, chopped).
- Your own variety of dried chillies, powdered in a coffee grinder - about 3 tablespoons when ground, or of course commercial chilli powder.
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds, ground in a coffee grinder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon masa harina
- Sea salt to taste
- Sauté the onions, garlic and lardons on a medium heat in the olive oil until soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add the herbs and spice and mix well.
- Add the liquids, just bring to the boil and immediately reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Use a little of the stock to mix the masa harina to a paste and then add back into the stock, whisk well and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt if required.
Cheat, cheat, cheat!
- Many other gravy recipes
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.