Chili con carne numero uno
The Numero Uno chili recipe from Manhattan Chili Co Southwest-American Cookbook [ISBN 978-0517563175]. One of the features of this recipe is the 'just-cooked' garlic, added at the last minute.
This is the recipe for their best selling chili - make this famous restaurant chili at home!
The recipe here has is the version I made to suit my tastes and ingredients available. The original recipe and ingredient quantities can be found in the comments section. 1 cup in this recipe represents 237 ml
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large onions peeled and roughly chopped (4 cups)
- 675 g (1.5 lb) minced beef (ground beef)
- 675 g (1.5 lb) minced pork (ground pork)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 4 heaped tablespoons of unsmoked paprika powder
- 2 scant tablespoons fresh cumin seeds, toasted and ground to a powder in a coffee grinder
- 2 scant tablespoons dried Mexican oregano
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (Green & Black's or similar quality product)
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon powder
- 2 teaspoons of hot chilli powder
- 1.5 teaspoons of chilli flakes
- Good shake of Louisiana hot pepper sauce
- Good shake of lime juice
- 4 cups Passata
- 3 cups beef stock
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 to 3 tablespoon coarse yellow cornmeal for thickening
- 2 cans red kidney beans
- In a wok or large frying pan, heat the oil and add a grind of black pepper then gently cook the onions for 20 minutes until soft - don't brown them.
- Meantime, in a separate pan, add a small amount of the oil from the onions, just to prevent the meat from sticking and add the pork, beef and salt. Cook for 20 minutes also.
- Drain the meat of any excess fat.
- Add the onions to the casserole and mix with the meat.
- Stir in the chili powder, hot pepper sauce, paprika powder, cumin, oregano, cocoa powder and cayenne pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the beef stock and tomato juice, bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning and then simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thicken with cornmeal if required. Add the beans and simmer for 5 minutes then serve.
The Manhattan Chili Co. has now closed, see image above. Feb 2016. The url was www.manhattanchili.com.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.