Chicken jambalaya (TM)
- 1 x 1.3kg chicken, parson's nose removed
- 1 small onion, cut into quarters
- 1 bay leaf
- Garlic, to taste, peeled
- 30g butter, ghee or olive oil
- 100g cooked bacon
- 4 spring onions, chopped on the diagonal
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped into half-moons
- 2 sweet peppers, any colour, deseeded and chopped
- 200g basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano or dried mixed herbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped, if available
- 1 400g tin plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
- Chillies, chilli sauce or chilli powder - I used 1 teaspoon extra hot chilli powder and 1 tablespoon Nando's Piri-Piri sauce
- Parsley, chopped (optional)
- Fill the TM bowl with 1.2kg water and add the onion and bay leaf.
- Place the chicken in the Varoma basket 30 minutes / Temp. Varoma / Speed 2.
- Turn chicken over and continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
- Check for done-ness and cook for longer if necessary.
- Remove the basket and allow to cool, reserving the steaming water and discarding the onion and bay leaf.
- Remove the meat from the bones.
- Add the garlic to the bowl and chop 5 seconds / Speed 5 then scrape down the inside of the bowl.
- Add the butter or oil, bacon, spring onions, celery and pepper and sautée 10 minutes / Temp. Varoma / Speed 1 / MC off.
- Add the rice and cook for 1 minute / Temp. Varoma / Speed 1 / MC off.
- Add the tomatoes, spices, herbs, Worcester sauce, hot pepper sauce and chicken.
- Fill the bowl with the reserved steaming water until you reach the 2 litre mark in the bowl.
- Cook 15 minutes / 90° / Speed Spoon / Reverse Blade or until the liquid has gone and the rice is cooked - it may help to remove the MC for part of the cooking time.
- Add a little more water if it dries out before the rice is done.
- Serve and garnish with the finely chopped parsley if desired.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.