Chicken in sherry and garlic
Superb mix of tastes
5/5 A lovely selection of flavours, especially the squash mash! Jerry, aka Chef)
- 1.3 kg whole chicken, jointed and skin removed - See here
- Lemon juice and salt (time dependent)
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- 6 Cloves of garlic, unpeeled and smashed with the back of a frying-pan - always good fun!
- Handful of spring onions, chopped roughly
- No more than ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 100 ml dry sherry
- 100 ml water
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- If you have time, squeeze the juice of 1 lemon over the chicken pieces and season well with salt; set aside for an hour or so.
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or similar
- Add the garlic and spring onions and simmer in the olive oil on a low heat (don't let it burn!) for about 15 minutes to flavour the oil. Discard the garlic and spring onions.
- Turn up the heat a little and brown the chicken pieces really well, a few at a time or you will end up steaming the chicken
- Add all of the browned chicken pieces back to the pan, reduce the heat and add the fennel seeds, bay leaves and a dash of sea salt
- Sauté for 10 minutes then add the Sherry and cook for a minute or two then add the water
- Cover and simmer of about 15 minutes until the thickest piece of chicken is cooked
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#chicken #oliveoil #springonions #garlic #simmer #fennelseeds #sherry #chickeninsherryandgarlic #bayleaves #boiledorsimmered #squashmash