The Guinness one looks better! 4/5 And I love the crispy potatoes The Judge
- 900g (2 lb) chicken pieces, skinned, preferably on the bone. Why not try jointing your own chicken?
- 110g (¼ lb) button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 900g (2 lb) potatoes, peeled and sliced 1 cm (½") thick
- 426 ml (15 fl oz - ¾ pint) good quality chicken stock
- 142 ml (5 fl oz - ½ pint) single cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt, half the salt if the stock is salty or if you cheated and used a stock cube!
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - Gas 4)
- If you have an enamel casserole such as a Le Creuset, then use that, otherwise, in a large pan, melt the butter and sauté the chicken pieces until they are golden on the outside
- Place then in the bottom of the casserole dish
- In a bowl, mix the parsley, salt, pepper, sugar, thyme
- Sprinkle a quarter of the mixture over the chicken pieces
- Then repeatedly add the remaining onions, mushrooms, potatoes and a sprinkle of herb mix until they are used up.
- Mix the cream into the stock and pour over the casserole
- Bake, covered, for an hour and a half, covered, then increase the heat to 220° C (400° F - Gas 6) to brown the potatoes
Serve hot with a green vegetable
Add a good grating of fresh Parmesan cheese at the browning stage.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#potatoes #chickenhotpot #chicken #mushrooms #parsley #miseenplace #cream #lecreuset #groundblackpepper #singlecream #butter