This chicken casserole recipe is a complete balanced meal cooked in one pan.
- 15g butter
- 1 tablespoon soya oil
- 8 chicken thighs (bone in)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 medium boiling potatoes, eg Amorosa, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 1 bulb of garlic, or more, to taste
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 600ml hot chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons or more of Tewkesbury mustard
- 4 handfuls of curly kale, washed and roughly chopped
- Heat the butter and the oil in a sauteuse, uncovered, to a high heat.
- Add the chicken thighs and fry on all sides until well browned.
- Remove from pan and reserve.
- Add the carrots and potatoes to the pan.
- Cook, uncovered, until slightly caramelised – a large pinch of sugar will help this process.
- Remove the vegetables and reserve.
- Add the leeks to the pan and cook for 5 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook until it starts to colour, then remove from the pan.
- Drain off the excess fat, reheat and add the chicken and vegetables.
- Stir in the flour and cook slowly for about 4-5 minutes.
- Slowly add the hot chicken stock and mustard, stirring frequently, until the stock has slightly thickened.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes on a medium heat, adding the kale about 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#chickencasserole #chicken #garlic #vegetables #potatoes #carrots #chickenstock #leek #plainflour #fat #stewedbraisedorpotroasted