Chicken and green peppers in black bean sauce
This tasty Chinese recipe is delicious and easy to make. It uses easy to find ingredients and served with rice, is a complete meal.
Take away taste, at home
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Chinese fermented black beans
- 4 large shredded spring onions (scallions) chopped diagonally
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 fresh chili, chopped finely
- 5 fl oz water or chicken stock
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 slices ginger, chopped
- Cut the chicken into small cubes, mix with the marinade and leave for 30 minutes
- Mix the cornflour with a little of the water or stock
- At the same time, soak the salted Chinese fermented black beans in enough water to cover
- Chop the pepper into chunks the same size as the chicken
- Heat the oil in a wok, add the ginger and garlic stir-fry for a minute
- Add the onions and chili, stir-fry for a few minutes
- Put the chicken and marinade mix in the wok and fry for about 4 to 5 minutes
- Add the peppers and fry for a further minute
- Stir in the beans and their liquid, together with the cornflour, stir often whilst bringing to the boil
- Reduce to a simmer and cover for 5 minutes
- Add the sesame oil and serve
The version I did for these photos don't quite match the recipe that I normally make but I thought best to leave the recipe as is, and make my excuses here.
When shopping, the red peppers looked better than the green so I switched colours. I couldn't get bottled or canned Chinese fermented black beans in the supermarket, but I did find the Amoy mix as in the photo. I used slightly more than half the packet without any soaking.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#chickenandgreenpeppersinblackbeansauce #cornflour #marinade #sesameoil #garlic #stirfried #redpeppers #chili #chicken #chickenstock #ricewine