- 1 tin of chickpeas (430 g), drained (reserve some of the water for later) and rinsed in cold running water
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ green chili, chopped
- sprigs of fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 large fresh tomato, chopped (or 2 tablespoons of tinned tomatoes, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 50g from a block of creamed coconut
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala or curry powder
- sea salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a wok and brown the onions
- Add the chopped tomatoes and fry for a minute or two
- Add the powdered spices and chickpeas and stir-fry for a minute
- Add the chickpeas, lemon juice, cover and simmer for 10 minutes
- If you want more 'gravy' add a little of the reserved water
Serve garnished with chopped coriander
Daal can be made with most varieties of lentils and pulses, though the soaking and cooking time may vary.
A curry 'must-have'
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#chanadaal #chickpeas #tomatoes #lemonjuice #coriander #fry #sidedish #simmer #onions #garammasala #boiledorsimmered