- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 75 g (3 oz) prosciutto or Home smoked bacon or lardons
- 1kg whole red cabbage (2.25 lb)), cored and shredded
- 5 tablespoon red wine
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Add the olive oil and a good grind of black pepper to a large saucepan and heat.
- Saute the onions for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the prosciutto and cook to 2 minutes.
- Add the sliced red cabbage and cook for 3 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Add the red wine, nutmeg and a pinch of salt, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes, checking that it does not dry out.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#cavolorosso #oliveoil #redcabbage #prosciutto #nutmeg #redwine #homesmokedbacon #onions #blackpepper #vegetable #simmer