Cavern Cheddar cheese
- Cavern Cheddar cheese is a very strong pasteurised cows' milk cheese, made with vegetarian rennet, produced by South Caernarfon Creameries.
Aroma and taste
- Cavern Cheddar – Our signature cheddar distinctive by its firm body with an incredible depth of flavour and rich savoury flinty notes.
Strength and texture
- Very strong Cheddar cheese
Cavern Cheddar cheese has been developed in partnership with Llechwedd Slate Caverns to add a real depth of flavour to our Welsh Cheddar. The cheese is made to a special bespoke recipe and matured to a minimum of 11 months. It is then transported from the Creameries to the Slate Caverns in Blaenau Ffestiniog and left to age 500 feet underground. This traditional ageing process takes place in original mining caverns which have been converted into cheese caves. This process adds unique characteristics to the taste and texture of our cheese.
We were inspired to develop a signature cheese that enhanced our great cheddar and made it into a truly delicious and different product. Cavern Cheddar has true provenance and its story is steeped in Welsh history.
- Best dairy product - Food Management Today - 2016
- 1st - Cheese for Export in packaging - Mid Somerset Show - 2016
- Bronze - Frome show - 2016
- 3rd - Bakewell show - 2016