Capricorn goats' cheese and thyme souffles
Many thanks to those nice people at The Lubborn Creamery who gave us permission to reproduce this very well written recipe.
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 275ml milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 shallot, peeled and quartered
- A few gratings of nutmeg
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 2 x 100g Capricorn Somerset Goats cheese, diced
- 3 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3 free range eggs, separated
- 1 x 142ml carton double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F, gas 4).
- Generously butter 6 x 150ml ramekins and place in a roasting tin.
- Place the milk in a saucepan with the bay leaf, shallot, nutmeg and seasoning. Bring to the boil then strain the flavoured milk into a jug.
- In a clean pan, melt the butter then add the flour and cook for 2 mins, stirring, to cook out the rawness of the flour.
- Remove from the heat and gradually blend in the flavoured milk to make a thick sauce. Simmer over a low heat for 2-3 mins then turn off the heat.
- Stir in three-quarters of the Capricorn Somerset Goats cheese, until it begins to melt, followed by 2 teaspoons thyme and plenty of seasoning, then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time, stirring until the sauce is smooth.
- Put the kettle on to boil, then whisk the egg whites to the soft peak stage.
- Mix a spoonful of egg whites into the sauce base to slacken the mixture then carefully fold in the remainder.
- Divide between the buttered ramekins, then pour 1cm depth of boiling water into the roasting tin around the ramekins.
- Bake the soufflés for 20 mins until risen and golden.
- Remove the ramekins from their hot water bath using a fish slice, and leave to cool on a wire rack. Run a small knife or spatula around the edge and turn the soufflés out.
- When ready to bake, place them on a buttered baking tray, puffy side up.
- Bake for 15 mins in an oven preheated to 180C (350F, gas 4) then pour the cream over the top.
- Scatter the reserved Capricorn Somerset Goats cheese and thyme over the soufflés and cook for a further 3-4 mins.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.