Bulgarian lamb in pastry
- 1.5 kg boneless leg of lamb
- 40 g butter
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Garlic to taste, crushed
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Shortcrust pastry, made with 450 g plain flour, 250 g butter and 150-250 ml cold water
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 190° C (375° F - gas 5).
- Tie the lamb with kitchen string, make about 20 incisions in the meat and place in a roasting tin.
- Mix together the butter, herbs, garlic and lemon juice.
- Use this mixture to fill the incisions you have made.
- Lightly sprinkle the lamb with salt.
- Place in the oven and roast for about an hour.
- Remove from the oven, increase the heat to 200° C (400° F - Gas 6)
- Allow the lamb to cool and remove the kitchen string.
- Roll out the pastry until it is large enough to wrap around the lamb in one piece.
- Seal the edges with a little of the egg and trim off any excess pastry - you can use any scraps to decorate the pastry if you wish.
- Place in a clean roasting tin and brush with the remaining egg.
- Return to the oven and bake for 30-45 minutes.
When I made this excellent dish I used 800g of butterflied lamb leg. In order to retain the butter marinade, I made a few deep cuts rather than lots of little ones. I also drained off most of the fat after the first roast. Being lazy I used a 450g ready-rolled sheet of shortcrust pastry which was fine for a small joint, it would not be large enough for a 1.5kg joint. It was superb with onion gravy and mixed vegetables.
- 1 teaspoon of dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 4 finely chopped anchovy fillets
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#lamb #bulgarianlambinpastry #egg #roasting #pastry #butter #garlic #lemonjuice #kitchenstring #herbs #fridge